What is Choice?
Get Email Updates
|Home > What is Choice?|
In 1973, the Supreme Court legalized abortion with its monumental Roe v. Wade decision. Since then, anti-choice groups have been attacking women's right to choose, working towards their ultimate goal of outlawing abortion again.
At NARAL Pro-Choice New Hampshire we believe it is important to promote policies that help prevent unintended pregnancies thereby reducing the need for abortion, such as accessible contraception and comprehensive sex education. However, we also believe it is essential to protect access to the full range of reproductive healthcare, including the right to safe, legal abortion.
Fighting for Choice
While the Supreme Court guaranteed American women the right to choose safe, legal abortion with their Roe v. Wade decision in 1973, they also recognized the state's ability to restrict abortion access and a woman's right to choose.
Since then, anti-choice forces have chipped away at choice in their efforts to overturn Roe v. Wade altogether. These are some of the tactics the anti-choice movement has used to do so:
- Violent tactics that intimidate doctors and patients
- Bans on safe abortion methods that protect women's health
- Restrictions on low-income women's access to abortion and other reproductive health care
- Dangerous laws that jeopardize young women's health and safety
- "Crisis pregnancy centers" that intentionally mislead women
- "Personhood" measures that would ban abortion
- Distortions of science to instill fear
- Restrictions on women's access to RU-486
- Refusal clauses that deny women basic health services
Choice in New Hampshire
Currently, the New Hampshire legislature is pro-choice, but we get a 'C+' from NARAL Pro-Choice America's Who Decides? on our choice related laws. While our state has three anti-choice laws on the books that restrict low-income and young women's access to abortion, we also have laws that improve access to birth control and emergency contraception.
Unfortunately, anti-choice forces in New Hampshire continue to fight hard to enact dangerous restrictions on reproductive health care. Each legislative attack reminds us that we must continue to fight to protect choice and push for positive, pro-choice policies.
If you're considering having an abortion, please review our information page for more on your options and the safety of the procedure.